High cholesterol. Not interested in taking statin drugs. Any advice?

I have high cholesterol - 418 total, 324 Ldl-c, 3307 Ldl-p, 77 Hdl-c. triglycerides 83, 1.2 mg/L C-reactive protein, 111 Calcium score, 2.9 uIU/ml insulin, 86 mg/dL serum glucose, 110/75 blood pressure.
Everything but the cholesterol looks ok, with a moderate calcium score close to low. My doctor would like to put me on Statin drugs, which I do not want to do. I exercise at a gym, eat extremely healthy (modified paleo diet).
Do you have any advice for me? Thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An increased fiber intake and activity may help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thank for using healthcare magic

LDL is the fraction of cholesterol that is generally considered XXXXXXX this is the one that is involved in the plaque formation that blocks blood flow.

There are different LDL particles, small and large. The large LDL are generally considered benign, it is the small LDL particles that are associated with disease and damage.
These small particles can slip through the walls of the blood vessels and are also easily oxidised. Oxidised products cause damage, this is the reason for the use of anti oxidants.

A value of LDL-p of less than 1000 is considered ideal , moderate is 1000 to 1299, borderline high is 1300 to 1599 and high is greater than 1600.

At 3307, your level is very high and means that there is an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. High cholesterol is influenced by lifestyle but there is also a hereditary factor as well.

Since your lifestyle is healthy,it is likely that the increased level may be related to family history.
You may want to increase your intake of vegetables to 5 times a day if you are not already doing so. This would increase your fiber intake and potentially decrease your cholesterol levels.

Physical activity is normally recommended to be at least 150 minutes a week, if it is presently below this then it should be increased to this level.

If the level of LDL-p is related to hereditary factors then you may need to use the statins because it is very high. In the end it is your choice but you would have to balance the risks and benefits.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions