High blood pressure,normal cholesterol.Nicardia retard helpful?

My BP has suddenly shot up to 178/128 levels and has been in the 150/125 levels. Can Nicardia Retard 20mg help? What are the other options. Cholestrol levels are fine
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Your blood pressure is extremely high. It is in a category which I would classify as a hypertensive emergency. I would not wait very long at all to go to the emergency department for a complete physical examination as well as appropriate blood work to try to find out why your blood pressure has increased so dramatically. At levels this high you run the risk of damage to the kidneys as well as other organs due to this high degree of pressure. The medication which you mentioned could sometimes bring down the blood pressure but we have to really look for the underlying cause.

There are several systemic syndromes which could be contributing to this high blood pressure. I would consider anxiety to be unlikely to be able to raise your blood pressure this high although it is remotely possible. If you are taking in any type of stimulant such as caffeine this could certainly have a major impact. Lastly if you have been exposed to any type of over-the-counter preparation or street drug please let me know because this is important in considering what could be causing your blood pressure problems.

Again I am very concerned about your blood pressure. I would like you to go to be merged department immediately for an evaluation because I am quite concerned there might be something else going on which is contributing to this level of hypertension. I hope you understand how concerned IM.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Dr. Galamaga