High blood pressure,headache,gastrointestinal problem,stroke

I'm worried I have high blood pressure and I don't know what to do.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Follow-up: High blood pressure,headache,gastrointestinal problem,stroke 2 minutes later
I've been having moderate headaches for several days now, and I went to a gastrointestinal doctor for a consultation and the nurse there said my BP was 140/80. Today I took BP tests using machines in various pharmacies/drugstores, and my BP ranged from 151/100 to 140/92. I'm really really worried about the damage that BP could do to me, or worried that I could have a stroke or a heart attack (my dad had a heart attack 2 years ago). Please help.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding your blood pressure.

From the numbers you have provided it is possible that you may have a very mild form of hypertension or elevated blood pressure.

In order to confirm this ,your blood pressure should be checked at a physicians office using a traditional blood pressure cuff. In the event that your blood pressure is mildly elevated you might benefit from some lifestyle modifications including weight loss diet changes as well as exercise.

We generally consider these modifications prior to starting any type of medication. It is true that family history plays a major role but lifestyle is also a very significant factor.

In addition such things as caffeine or stressed or high salt intake in the diet can sometimes contribute to elevated blood pressure.

I encourage you to make an appointment to see your primary care provider for a full assessment. Very likely some modifications to your lifestyle will be recommended. If beyond these modifications your blood pressure still remains elevated in 4 to 6 weeks you might be considered for a medication.

There are many different blood pressure medications which do a good job at controlling blood pressure. I would not try to worry about this just yet and I would focus more on taking care of your body and mind.

I thank you again for submitting your question. Let me reassure you that I do not think you are in any danger as far as longevity or your overall health.

This is something which can be monitored and treated very easily. I hope this has been helpful for you and I want to let you know that I am available if you have any additional questions.

Dr. Robert.