High blood pressure, work related stress. Taking atenolol daily. How can high blood pressure be controlled?

My husband blood pressure is 142 over 100. He currently takes 100 mg of atenolol daily. He is under a tremendous amount of work related stress, he owns his own business. How can I help him get this under control. He did visit the doctor today.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A blood pressure of 142/100 on medication is on a higher side. It seems that one drug is not sufficient to control his blood pressure. He needs a complete evaluation and revision of treatment. Taking a combination of drugs like ACE inhibitors or calcium channel blockers will be helpful along with atenolol in controlling his blood pressure.
I encourage you to consult his physician for both evaluation and revision of his treatment for proper blood pressure control.
Some simple lifestyle modifications that will help him are-
Try to avoid staying up nights, use good lighting at work, try to reduce stress by taking frequent breaks at work, get 6-8 hours of sleep daily, do Yoga, Pranayam for stress relief as well. Kindly refrain from smoking, using tobacco of any kind, avoid high calorie meals, avoid junk food, stick to a low salt diet, eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by brisk walking daily for 40 minutes.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.