High blood pressure, taking Metoprolol and Lisinopril. What can I do? Should I worry?

went to the doctor today,my blood pressure was 180 over 190.I take 100mg metoprolol and10mg Lisinopril.What can i do?can i continue every day chores or take it easy?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Your blood pressure seems to be high. As you had been to doctor, I think there is no reason to worry.

Still it is advisable that you avoid any physical or mental strain which can further raise your blood pressure. Means if you are a working women, you should take a break today, unnecessary outing etc. should also be avoided.

Blood pressure can be raised in many conditions like physical exertion,tension and anxiety or some other illness.

Please keep measuring it on regular basis and keep follow up with your doctor on regular basis.

Take light diet,cut salt and fat intake. I hope you have been properly investigated for your blood pressure.

In case you have some giddiness, pain or discomfort in chest or something unusual happening,
please visit your doctor immediately. Other wise sit back and relax. Continue the drugs as advised and keep monitoring your blood pressure.

I hope this helps, still if have any further queries, I will be glad to reply.

with regards,

Follow-up: High blood pressure, taking Metoprolol and Lisinopril. What can I do? Should I worry? 2 days later
Dr.,in your reply,you say you hope i've been properly investigated for my high blood pressure.what do you recommend?Please give me your opinion on what testing would help find out what's going on.The blood work from 4mo. ago was normal,except my sugar,125,was149 the previous blood work.I don't take meds for my diabetis.there has been a big improvement in my blood test with the meds I take.My cholesterol used to be 230,could that be the reason,my arteries?The DR. increased Lisinipril to 20mg.From 10 to 20.I'm to go see him in 3mo.What's your opinion ?Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 59 minutes later
Good to hear from you again.

The patients of blood pressure need investigations like-

Lipid profile
Serum creatininie
Urine examination
Blood sugar test
Eye examination
Liver enzymes-in case you are on cholesterol medication.
Ultrasound of kidneys-in selected cases
Doppler for kidneys in case of uncontrolled blood pressure

The frequency of test can be decided by your doctor as per need.

At present please keep measuring the blood pressure daily,keep a chart and keep in touch with your doctor.Rise in cholestrol levels also can rise your blood pressure rates.You should also take medicines for diabetes,since this will lead to further complications.

I hope this answers your query.

wishing you good health.