High blood pressure, on two medications, sudden increase in BP levels. Emergency situation ?

I have high blood pressure and I'm on two medications. Recently my BP has been in the 160/100's tonight it was 195/111, should I go to the ER?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 28 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Your current high BP reading with the background of a thiazide diuretic and amlodipine would need review for dosage and an upgrade in drugs to control.

If 2 drugs are not able to control hypertension , you would need 3/4 depending on your clinical status.

You would definitely need a doctor, but ER - would be necessary if you experience any symptoms like headache, flushing, extreme body aches etc. Take bed rest and curtail activities. If it worsens then you could go to ER if the doctor's appointment is very late.

Don't worry, that BP reading will not harm you immediately, but take your doses as usual and try to relax and calm down.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.