High blood pressure, now normal. On norvasc medication, side effects of heart palpitations. Okay to discontinue ?

how can i my wean myself from norvasc 5mg, i have been taking them about 5 years, my blood pressure daily is approx 116/68 -120/80
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Follow-up: High blood pressure, now normal. On norvasc medication, side effects of heart palpitations. Okay to discontinue ? 8 minutes later
the norvasc makes my heart palpate, recently i have noticed it more, i really
dont think i need the meds anymore, i do realize that i need to be weaned from
the meds.. i healthy overall, i work out 3 times a week, my weight is between, 135 ibs - 140, very little body fat.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 34 minutes later

The drug Norvasc contains Amlodepin. As per your age and time of diagnosis you seems to have essential Hypertension means you are having hypertension for which there is no specific cause. This is most likely.

Normally in this type of Hypertension, you need to be on life long treatment to control your blood pressure as we are not treating the cause but control the blood pressure with medications.

Ideally you should not stop this drug. I can understand that you think that you had blood pressure because of stress, which is not a problem now.

Your blood pressure at present is under well control. I think you should continue to take this drug, unless you have some problem with the drug.

In case of any problem, you can talk to your physician who will after proper examination may reduce the dose or change the drug.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.