High blood pressure, not feeling good. Need to see urgent care?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband is 45 and he has not been feeling good. His bp is 149/101. Does he need to see urgent care?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Normal blood pressure usually rests at 120/80mmHg, but your blood pressure is 149/101mmHg. Before coming to any conclusions it is advisable to note a few points first.

Blood pressure needs to be measured over a bare arm after the person is at rest for atleast 5 minutes in sitting position with feet on the floor. No stimulant like smoking, alcohol, caffeine, colas, etc. has been consumed since 30 minutes as well. Also the Blood pressure measurement needs to be repeated a few times during the day to confirm validity of the reading.

If after repeated recordings the reading is raised, then you need to consult your physician for proper management of this raised blood pressure. There is no need to rush to an emergency room. You can schedule a regular appointment with your physician for check up and other investigations.

Meanwhile try to be relaxed, have a good night's sleep. Kindly refrain from smoking, using tobacco of any kind, avoid high calorie meals, avoid junk food, stick to a low salt diet, eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by brisk walking daily for 40 minutes.

But in case he is not a known hypertensive or is a hypertensive but on medication regularly and this raise in blood pressure is sudden and unexpected and causing headaches or vomiting or any chest pain, he should be taken to emergency room for control of the blood pressure.

Hope I have answered your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.