High blood pressure. Lisinopril medication aggravated psoriasis, switched to losartan, more side effects. Can I switch back to lisinopril ?

67 yr old, 200lb male w family history (but no individual history) of stroke and heart disease. High blood pressure has been controlled for years first by aspirin &Toprol (25mg/day, 2X), HZT (25mg/day), Simvastatin, 20mg, and Lisinopril, 5mg/day. BP slowly XXXXXXX over last few months from 123/77 to 141/85, so my doctor increased Lisinopril to 10 mg/day, but this dose aggravated my prostatitis- which normally did not act up. Dropping back to 5mg Lisinopril minimized prostatis symptoms for a few days, so my doctor stopped the Lisinopril & switched me to 25mg of Losartan. Losartan had an immediate (6hr) effect at bringing on mild prostatis events, mild pain in lower back, mild pain off/on in lower right or left kidney. After 1 week BP has actually climbed from 144/85 to 150/94. Can I just stop the Losartan immediately and switch back to 5mg Lisinopril? Perhaps there is a better option than resuming Lisinopril?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later
Hi ,

Both Lisinorpil and Losartan are rarely involved in causing prostatitis .They may sometimes cause urethra which may affect the prostate indirectly and present with symptoms like back ache.Also both drugs are known to reduce the urine output which most of times is confused to decreased urination due to prostatic enlargement which is not in real.

Do get examined and confirm the fact that the prostate is really involved .For time being do stop losartan immediately and consult you treating doctor who shall examine and also order for a urine analysis to confirm the prostate involvement and put you on appropriate antihypertensive.Do not switch over to Lisinopril by yourself.Do reduce the water and salt intake to optimum level which can prevent BP to shoot up in the absence of Losartan.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.