High blood pressure. Is it possible to bring it down to ideal range with exercise or otherwise?

I am 32 year old normal healthy male. My blood Pressure was recently diagnosed to be 140/90. Is it ever possible to get it down to the ideal range of 115/70 with exercise or otherwise? My dad also has High BP and has been under medication for about 20 years (He is 75 now). Can I plan so I dont have to take hypertension medications. Let me know.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 22 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions. You do have a higher risk (currently having high BP) for the development of hypertension (with positive family history), but if you are able to control on a restricted diet and with excercise (yoga and meditation) you could keep it at normalised levels. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: High blood pressure. Is it possible to bring it down to ideal range with exercise or otherwise? 4 minutes later
Thanks for the reply Dr. XXXXXXX

1. What kind of diet should I take?
2. Any preventive therapeutic medication I can take to prevent from getting hypertension?

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 8 minutes later
Thanks for your kind response, weight reduction necessary, to maintain ideal body mass index (BMI) of 20-25 kg/m2. It is recommended to avoid meals on starchy foods (potatoes, bread, rice and pasta) and start using wholegrain bread, and brown rice if possible, but watch the portion size of meals and cut down on snacks.
Eat foods XXXXXXX in fibre, ie cereals, pulses (beans, peas, lentils, grains, seeds), fruit and vegetables. Have at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day. Select low-fat foods, avoid foods containing a lot of fat and sugar (eg fried food, sweetened drinks, crisps, confectionery). Reduce any excessive caffeine consumption and have a low dietary sodium intake (reduce or substitute any sodium salt). Calcium, magnesium or potassium supplements are not recommended.
Ensure you eat breakfast. Cut alcohol intake. Make physical activities part of everyday life (eg walk or cycle to work, use stairs instead of lift, walk at lunchtime), and build in enjoyable activities to leisure time every week (e.g walking, cycling, gardening, swimming, aerobics, etc.) . Minimise sedentary activities, e.g limit television watching or sitting at a computer or playing video games. Once more, look for local activities, join a sporting group and get used to exercising regularly, ideally several times a week. Monitor your blood pressure with your clinician at regular intervals (atleast initially). If you have no further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Thanks