High blood presser. taking Eslo At. How to control my BP?

I am passes through High blood presser i take one tab of Eslo AT but my blood Presser never come less then 160/100 my age is 44 years. Can you advise me to control my BP
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 37 minutes later
There are four things in your case.

1. If you really have uncontrolled blood pressure: Our Blood pressure (BP) is continuously changing and is effected by increase in physical and mental activity. Hence it will be higher with increased stress (mental/physical) and less in periods of calmness/ sleep/relaxation. An uncontrolled blood pressure should be diagnosed if you have constantly high BP readings (most of the readings are > 140/90 taken over a period of 3-4 weeks {if you are not a diabetic or renal disease patient}) with patient in totally relaxed state, preferably at same time of day.

2. If you have secondary hypertension (high blood pressure): That means you have some certain known treatable cause for hypertension. Normally physicians at first contact with patients of high blood pressure work them-up for these causes which usually include kidney function tests/ultrasound of kidney region/ electrolytes/ urine examination/blood sugar/ blood counts/thyroid profile. They also do a clinical examination to look for coarctation and renal bruits beside usual examination. I hope it was also done in your case and all possible causes were ruled out.

3. In case the diagnosis of Essential/primary/idiopathic hypertension (the usual one we know) has been established: then you must follow the life style modifications meant for high blood pressure. These are low intake of salt (no table salt, avoiding foods with high salt content), attaining optimal weight (body mass index~23), daily exercise (after discussion with your physician), meditation/ relaxation exercise, avoid smoking, moderation of alcohol intake (not more than 60 ml of whisky in a day) and adoption of DASH diet plan (you can consult a dietitian for detailed diet instructions).

4. At last, the drug therapy can be optimized. There are a number of drugs from different classes which can be tried in your case after discussing your cardiologist.

I hope you got some insight into your problem. Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder Singh