High WBC count, not sure about infection, virus or inflammation. Should I be concerned?

Okay my question has several parts and is sorta complex. First off my white cell count has been borderline high for two blood tests, one month apart. My doctor doesnt seem concerned but I am. Its now at 10.1 and was 10.8 last month. Not sure if I have an infection somewhere or a virus or inflammation but it has concerned me. Should I be concerned or just watch and wait? I do have bad teeth though. Could this cause it? Secondly I have been vitamin D deficient. I am taking an over the counter supplement D 3 2000 IU daily. On my labs last month my calcium went from 9.4 (my norm) to 10.1 and my vitamin D went from 7 to 29. Could this have caused a raise in my calcium levels? I actually backed down on the D an my calcium is now 9.2. Is that odd or normal? My mother has parathyroid disease so I am concerned about it. I also have normal hemoglobin levels but decided to have my doc run a ferritin level which was like 10 and he wants me on supplementation. I take lots of stomach meds (prevacid, pepto bismol etc) and wonder if it could be low due to the ppi meds. I have reflux and a hiatal hernia. No period in a year on birth control so it cant be that. B 12 is 450. I am just concerned as I havent felt well. I have had some abdomen pain, dizziness, tiredess and general aching in my legs and arms. I do have fibromyalgia but this feels different and I am overweight and just started Weight Watchers. Any input on all of this?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 10 hours later

You do seem to have several problems, let me summarize- hiatus hernia, hypertension, fibroids, allergies.

Now, what you are worried about is your raised white cell count and fluctuating calcium and vitamin D levels, tiredness and aches and pains.

The slightly raised white cell count should not bother you, it may be due to 'bad teeth' as you rightly deduce.

I think you can reduce your vitamin-D. Take D-2 after consulting your doctor, as it does not rapidly raise the blood calcium levels.

Get your teeth attended to by a dentist, so any focus of infection can be treated. Otherwise you have had a very good work-up and are very knowledgable about your health. I compliment you on that.

I hope you are exercising adequately. In my experience, people with multiple problems do respond to a good exercise regimen.

Hope this adequately takes care of your concerns. Do get back if you have further queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: High WBC count, not sure about infection, virus or inflammation. Should I be concerned? 10 hours later
so do you feel the vitamin d3 can be raising my calcium levels? i have backed off from daily to a few times a week taking it to see if it helps keep the calcium lower without lowering my vitamin d levels again.

also i do have fibromyalgia an have had some achiness in my muscles in my legs and arms is this common with fibromyalgia?

as for the ferritin in my original inquiry, i am not anemic in my regular cbc panel just low in ferritin. is there a connection between stomach issues, ppi's and low ferritin? i dont believe i am losing blood anywhere as i have not had a cycle in a year due to being on low dose pills. my doctor said to take over the counter SLOW FE for this. i have had low ferritin for about 4 yrs and it has stayed the same and never gotten lower. is this something i should be worried about?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 14 hours later

Yes, it is better to switch to Vitamin D-2 now or reduce frequency of D-3 as you have already done.
Vitamin D3 can cause a raise in your calcium levels.

Fibromyalgia most commonly presents with muscle aches. The stomach issue, PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitor) and low ferritin are not related to each other. They seem to be 3 different individual problems. They are all easily treatable. Do not worry.

Hemoglobin level indicates iron levels in blood and serum ferritin indicates the amount of stored iron in the body. Both are equally important. It is necessary to keep the stores replenished, since due to some reason if your blood levels go down, it can be compensated from the stores.

You can take bi-weekly or alternate day supplements as recommended by your doctor for this.