High WBC and neutrophils, pasty mouth and taste buds, no sore throat or swollen glands. Weight gain, fatigue, not pregnant

46 yr old female -3 months of high WBC, especially neutrophills. additional symptoms lately of pasty mouth and taste buds off (that feeling on your tongue and your mouth when you are sick with a cold/flu), no sore throat or swollen glands. Fatigue which is getting worse, unexplained weight gain, no chance of pregnancy as not sexually active. Pasty mouth symptom has been ongoing for one week (today is start of the second week). Was sent for additional blood work today (thyroid, cbc, iron, B12). Have been trying to keep active and exercise but don't have enough energy to keep it up during the week (.e.g after a workout on Saturday, was exhausted later and the next day).
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
A raised WBC count is indicative of a generalized infection in the body.
The change in the taste sensation, fatigue, etc are also indicative of a generalised illness may be a viral illness.
Thyroid hormone imbalance, electrolyte imbalance, anaemia, diabetes etc are other causes that need to be ruled out.
A very common cause is deficiency of zinc and vit B3.Try taking some multivitamin-multimineral supplements for some days and see if the symptoms persist.

If the symptoms persist then other possibilities have to be probed.These include poor oral hygiene,fungal infections, endocrine disorders, acid reflux and anxiety attacks.

Try having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They not only break through the taste, but also help in saliva production that helps in washing away the plastic taste. Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also.
Finally I suggest a consult with Psychiatrist to rule out acute depressive illness. Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: High WBC and neutrophils, pasty mouth and taste buds, no sore throat or swollen glands. Weight gain, fatigue, not pregnant 11 hours later
Anything to having tender lymph nodes-my doctor checked them yesterday and while they are tender to the touch, she said they felt normal.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Tender lymph nodes might be related to your raised WBC counts or a viral infection.
A lymph node of size less than 1.5cm is not significant.
For symptomatic relief, you can take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen and do a hot fomentation in the area. These do subside in 2-3 weeks after the infection subsides.
In case these are persistent then an FNAC will help in exact diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.