High SGPT and SGOT levels. Is it dangerous?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Myself XXXXXXX , age 27, BMI= 27 WEIGHT=87KG Height=1.74mtr.

i checked my liver blood test , its values are SGPT=124 & SGOT=50 , Please tell me which fruits/vegetables/diet will control this level? i'm regularly doing exercise and also tell me is this level is XXXXXXX ?

Thanking you

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 49 minutes later
The optimal levels for both SGPT (Serum Glutamic-Pyruvic Transaminase) and SGOT (Serum Glutamic-Oxalocetic Transaminase) are around 20 to 30 U/L.
These are basically liver enzymes and their levels can rise even in 100 to many thousands in case of any liver problem like Hepatitis, Jaundice or Alcoholic liver or viral infection etc.
Your levels are mild to moderately increased and not XXXXXXX but the risk of danger also depends on the causative illness which you haven't mentioned in your query.

Its good that you exercise daily because you are overweight, kindly continue it.
As far as diet is concerned first of all, avoid the following foods which can be stressful to the liver
1. Alcohol or caffeinated drinks like colas, coffee.
2. Animal products like meat or dairy except yoghurt or dahi which is good to digest.
3. Junk foods and oily foods
4. White bread, or processed foods or canned juices.

You can take the following foods which are good to liver.
1. Soybean products.
2. Whole grain wheat , rice.
3. Leafy XXXXXXX vegetables, beans , infact all vegetables except potato.
4. All fresh fruits 2-3 peices per day.
5. Lemon juices , dahi or yoghurt.
6. Use virgin olive oil to prepare food.

You should have four small meals at regular intervels instead of two large meals. Also drink plenty of water.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for any follow up queries.