High SGPT and GGPT. Normal LFT and KFT. What is the implication?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
my SGPT(ALT) is 64 and GGPT is 90. But other factors in LFT and KFT are within normal range. What is the implication ? is there anything to worry about
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

I have gone through your reports, yes the SGPT is marginally raised, and GGPT Is nearly doubly raised

SGPT raised marginally alone can be because of any alteration in liver function as in Hepatitis or Cirrhosis, if there is not history of alcohol I would say go for the test after 2 weeks again and see if it comes down

The GGPT has also been used as an indicator of heavy and chronic alcohol use, but its value in these situations has been questioned recently

GGPT is raised in liver disease and strengthens the involvement of liver in pathology

If no alcohol history do not worry and repeat this also, if history of alcohol is positive give up alcohol

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
If no more doubts accept this reply and rate it
Get Well Soon

Follow-up: High SGPT and GGPT. Normal LFT and KFT. What is the implication? 12 hours later
There is alcohol history but the frequency is mostly once in a week (60mL) and sometimes continuously for 2-3 days and sometimes not at all. In parties, the consumption is about 120 mL, but mostly it is around 60 mL.
Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your followup

I would recommend you stop alcohol straight away

Take a liver tonic and get the liver function repeated after two to three weeks

If it does not improve consult a gastroentrologist

Hope this helps

Am available for followup queries

If there are no more doubts do accept this reply and rate it

Get well soon