High SGOT and SGPT level, Hepatitis negative, no medications taken. Why is my doctor concerned?

Question
I Just got back from my first appointment with my Dr. and my labs came back abnormally as follows: AST(SGOT)- 381
ALT(SGPT)- 738
My dr. seems very concerned, but didnt specify as to why, so it has me paranoid to say the least. I am only 24, Drink rarely, and havent for a month. Hepatitis came back negative. No medications taken in awhile. Im having more blood taken in the morning, and i have an ultra siund scheduled for a month from now.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
It is evident from your reports that your liver enzyme levels are raised. Since hepatitis and medicines intake are ruled out, the commonest cause of the same in your age group is due to fat deposition in the liver called a fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle.
An ultrasound scan will help in determinig the cause.

The serum ALT (SGPT) level usually is greater than the AST level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to restrict your alcohol intake (if you are taking any) and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.
In usual cases without complication liver enzymes return to normal within few months but there is gross individual variation regarding exact duration.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.