High SGOT and SGPT. What remedies are available?

Question
i am 23 year old male,my sgot is 47 sgpt is 64 &ggt 152 .i am an alcoholic. what are remedies/medications available
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Radhika 34 minutes later

As the normal range for SGOT and SGPT is 5-40 and 7-56 IU/L, your SGOT (Serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (Serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase ) levels are elevated. Further normal GGT values are is 0-65U/L, this enzyme is also elevated in your case. GGT is a liver enzyme involved in the transport of amino acids and peptides into cells as well as glutathione metabolism. GGT is mainly found in liver cells and is extremely sensitive to alcohol use. Elevated GGT levels are found in liver disease, alcoholism, obesity, bile-duct obstruction, cholangitis, and drug abuse.

The elevation of these enzymes is suggestive of liver damage caused by use of alcohol. To remedy the liver damage, I would suggest the following:
a.     Stop using alcohol. The injury, although reversible in the early stages, become irreversible if the abuse continues.
b.     Pay attention to a nutritious and well balanced diet. The diet should have plenty of carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables so that thiamine and folate levels are restored.
The following steps need to be taken so that you can stop using alcohol:
•     Make a commitment to stop drinking. Evaluate the risks and benefits of using alcohol
•     Set specific goals like “ I want to reduce my intake by 1-2 drinks in a week” or “ I want to totally stop drinking by 31st January”
•     Consult a psychiatrist and a psychologist who can provide counselling and drug therapy to help you in this process
•     Build a support team to help you. This could include family, friends and colleagues.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Regards.