High SGOT and SGPT. Matter to concern?

Apr 2014

I m XXXX yesterdy I hv checked my sgot n sgpt both r 72 and 92 respectively..i drink beer it matter of concern of this much high sgot n sgpt
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is matter of concern and you have to quit beer

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Yes,Definitely your SGOT and SGPT is raised.
You have history of beer intake.It is not good for you at all.You are only 31 years old.
You should quit it immediately.Increased SGPT shows liver damage and it is due to beer in your case.
You need few further investigations so that your problem is clearly understood.
You need routine hemogram,RBS,RFT,LFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen.You need complete LFT like bilirubin and GGT level.GGT is specific for liver damage.

You can take tablet ursodeoxycholic acid 150 mg twice daily for 3 months.It will help in regeneration of liver cells.You should also do exercise and walking.

You can quit beer completely by strong determination and it is possible.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care