High GGT levels. Could this be due to alcohol intake?

Apr 2014

My GGT test came back high, I have been drinking alcohol for a few months on a regular basis due to stress etc. How long does it take to reduce my alcohol intake to reduce my GGT test level?
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You need complete LFT profile.It may take 3 months Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You should quit alcohol intake immediately. You need few further investigations so that your problem is clearly understood. You need routine hemogram,RBS,RFT,LFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen.You need complete LFT like bilirubin,SGOT,SGPT,Alkaline phosphatase. You can take tablet ursodeoxycholic acid 150 mg twice daily for 3 months.It will help in regeneration of liver cells.You should also do exercise and walking. Check the follow up LFT report after one month. You can quit alcohol completely by strong determination and it is possible. Hope i have answered your query. Get well soon. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX