High ESR rate, have been dizzy & unsteady. Whether visiting a rheumatologist will help?

my sed rate is moderately high. I have been dizzy and unsteady for the last month. My primary care wants me to go see a rheumatolist. what would this doctor be looking for and what should I expect
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) is a non specific but useful diagnostic test amongst the blood tests.

Any reading more than 20mm has to be consider for evaluation.ESR is seen raised in numerous conditions like infections, inflammatory diseases, immunological diseases,Pregnancy etc.

If there are no signs of any infection even no history of any recent infection then consulting a rheumatologist is a better option.As second line of illnesses which cause raise in ESR are immune mediated.There are many immune related diseases which can be identified with detailed history and some in early asymptomatic stages by physical examination with few more specific tests.Example : RA (Rheumatoid factor) for Rheumatoid arthritis etc.

Do consult the rheumatalogist who after examining you can order required tests to come to a conclusion in you on the condition causing raised ESR.

Wish you good health,