High ESR rate, back pain, stomach pain, fatigue; negative for RA, lupus and pelvic US. What could it mean?

I have no symptoms other than the high ESR rate of 125, some back pain and mild stomach pain and mild fatigue. What could a rate that was 100 four weeks ago and now is 125 mean? I have been tested for RA and Lupus, both test were negative and I had a pelvic ultra sound which was negative.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 10 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

ESR is a non-specific test for assessing a focal area of inflammation in the body.

Increased value above 100 mm/hr means a progressive focus of RA, Lupus, arteritis, auto-immune diseases like multiple myeloma etc.

Your increase of 25 over a month indicates some increased activity in the inflammatory focus in your body.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: High ESR rate, back pain, stomach pain, fatigue; negative for RA, lupus and pelvic US. What could it mean? 2 hours later
I did see a Rhemotologist who test me for RA and Lupus, but the tests came out negative. Since I'm not having any arthritic symtoms, she has referred me to a gastrinologist, who will be doing a upper GI and colonoscopy next week. Can these levels also mean that you could have some undiscovered cancer? Could these levels mean something less serious. Any guesses???
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 10 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

I would advise you not to speculate the cancer reason much now. At least till evidence is found.

An increased ESR does not necessarily mean cancer. In fact most of the conditions causing rise in ESR are inflammatory coditions like TB, arteritis etc. ESR is actually non-specific and cancer on the other hand has other serum markers like CRP, CA 19 etc which have higher specificity, which is not your case.

I would think that your ESR levels with the background of a negative pelvic ultrasound should not mean serious.

I hope, this answers your query.

Wish you good health.