High CA125, taking chemotherapy for stage 3C ovarian cancer. Stress and CA125 related?

i was diagnoised with stage 3c ovarian cancer in 2009. my ca 125 was over 7000. In feb of 10 it was down to 43 in the part few months it has been steadily going up and i am still on chemo. but since may i have been under alot of stress--I took care of my nother she died my dog died, i had to move out of mother house and back into my own which needed alot of work done then my brother passed. so much stress and ca125 going up--any relationship?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 22 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

Relationship between stress and CA 125 levels ?

CA 125 as you might have read a little, is a useful marker in your serum that can be useful for the oncologist to review your progress in the path of chemotherapy.
Now, your case where it came down to 43 from 7000 - means that your ovarian cells have been killed satisfactorily by the anticancer drugs that were used for you.

Steadily going up - (You have not mentioned what value) you should remember here importantly that your oncologist would be concerned when CA 125 values double up or more during the treatment, again depending on case to case basis.

Several other conditions also cause increased levels of CA 125 apart from ovarian cancer like even benign cancers too. But, stress directly may not be the culprit, but several studies obviously show relationship between stress and cancer situation. So, in way stress might indirectly affect your body's immunity which is already busy fighting with the cancerous cells. So, fewer cancer cells get killed now than previously by the same amount of anticancer drug.

But again, many other important factors also play a role for the prognostic value of these increasing values of CA 125 like for instance, resistance to the anticancer drugs over a period of time.

Your oncologist, I believe must know about all this, if the levels now are of concern as I explained above.

Along with chemotherapy, discuss the option of a very useful technique involving breathing for your immunity boost. Studies at AIIMS, India (a premier institute in the capital) have shown increased levels of the killer cells in the body required to fight cancer cells. Visit (Flowcytometric Study of T-cell Subset and Natural Killer Cells in Peripheral Blood of Art of Living Teachers, Normal Subjects and Cancer Patients. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Kochupillai.) WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope, I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to contact me.

Wish you Good Health.