High BP with headaches. What should be done now?

My husband is 40yr old , he weight 172 , 5"7 hieght , he got a bp of 188/108 , what we should do right now ? he got some headache , too.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Your husband is currently suffering from accelerated hypertension. Please take him to the ER (Emergency Room) immediately. His BP (Blood pressure) has to come down and has to be monitored.

For now please use the following advice

1. You can administer his daily medication of lisinopril 40 mg
2. Do not panic; give him reassurance if he is tensed about the high BP
3. Please watch out for worsening of the headache, blurring of vision, vomiting irrelevant talk and weakness of limbs

Accelerated hypertension is commonly seen in hypertensive patients who are irregular with their tablets or are under stress for some reason. He needs to increase his dosages of antihypertensive probably another class of drug like a calcium channel blocker. Please XXXXXXX his physician soon. He also needs to undergo some blood tests if not done recently like

1. Renal function test
2. Urine routine and urine for micro-albumin
3. Eye fundus examination
4. Fasting lipid profile

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish him a speedy recovery