High BP suddenly. HTN in family genes. Is it harmless to exercise?

Sure, I have been checking my bp recently and found it to be 150's/100.
I am reasonably healthy BMI 25, Rode my bike for 3000 miles this year.
Until recently BP has been just fine 120/80 range. Just curious about why the spike.
Genetics are very strong - mom/dad and 2 siblings with HTN
Am Neonatal NP - just wondering if I need to be seen this w/e like in the ED or can I wait and be seen during the week? Also is it ok to exercise with this BP?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
A blood pressure of 150/100 is definitely high. Since you have a strong family history of hypertension and you had PIH in your first pregnancy, this seems to be due to essential hypertension.
Since this is your first high B.P. record, it might be due to anxiety or increased salt or frozen food intake.
I would recommend you to check your blood pressure on multiple monitors to make sure you are seeing accurate readings and followup with your doctor during the week. There is no need to rush to an emergency room right now.
Meanwhile keep on monitoring your blood pressure twice daily and maintain a records diary.
Right now I will not recommend you for any heavy exercise. Mild exercises like walking can be done.
Reducing fatty foods, salt and increasing citrus fruits,garlic,fish ,brown rice in your diet will help. Also avoid smoking , alcohol and stress.Try yoga and meditation to lower your blood pressure.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.