High BP since four years. What are the reasons?

I have High BP last 4 years, 140/80, i want to know the reasons ?
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 28 minutes later

Your systolic blood pressure is a bit high, but your diastolic pressure is very normal; so nothing to worry. Further blood pressures are subjected to variations according to body posture, physical strain, stresses and other physiological changes. Repeating blood pressures on different occasions in a week is needed if blood pressures are found high on one particular occasion.

If blood pressures are higher on all occasions, the causes are:

1. Unknown factors
2. Presence of family history of high Blood pressure,
3. Associated high cholesterol, obesity, diabetes, hyperthyroid state, renal disease, etc.
4. Individuals with stressful life.
5. Due to atherosclerosis in the wall of arteries.

The aforementioned causes are the most important causes associated with high blood pressure.

You may not require any treatment for this blood pressure. Diet and lifestyle changes along with regular physical exercise should take care of high blood pressures.

Hope this suffices. If you have further query, I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: High BP since four years. What are the reasons? 1 hour later
Thank you sir,one more question i am getting hight bp and low bp ,example today is high BP and tomorrow it's in Very low BP , like 65 or 70, why it's happening?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
65-70 is fine if this is your diastolic blood pressure ( the lower reading). Normally, there is a diurnal variation in the blood pressure and there is nothing that you need to worry about.
I would suggest that you get your blood pressure monitored daily and after a week or two show this chart to your doctors. The treatment can proceed accordingly.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.
If you do not have any further clarification, you can close the discussion and rate this answer.
Wish you good health.