High BP of stroke levels, frequent urination, chronic chills. On BP medicines. What are they caused by?

My 86 year old Uncle just told me he spent most of today with very high blood pressure ("stroke levels" he termed it) and had to urinate heavily several times during the day (with no additional fluid intake). He also experienced chronic chills. His GP couldn't determine a cause. Wants to see him back in a week. He takes a typical blood pressure medication. This type of incident has never happened to him before. He does ocassionally momentarily black out after minor exertions.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I can appreciate your concern for your uncle. I will try to explain things one by one.

There is couple of possibilities in his case.

1. Uncontrolled blood pressure: Rise in blood pressure at times lead to decrease in the oxygen supply to the brain, this can lead to typical black outs that he is having.
This also can lead to increase urination as body tries get rid of extra fluid in natural way and lower down the blood pressure.

2. Increase urination and chills could also be due to urine infection. Looking to his age there are chances of increase in the size of prostate gland. This gland projects in the urinary bladder and leads to some amount of urine in the urine bag all the time. This can lead to infection and increase in frequency as well.

Please take him to his physician again and discuss this. He might need further investigation like urine examination, ultrasound to have some more information this.

Depending upon the result further advice and treatment can be suggested.

Strict control of blood pressure is must. Ask him to take rest and medicines on regular basis. Keep a record of blood pressure readings.

I hope this answers your query and clarify your doubts.

Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.