High BP, high pulse

my husbands bp is 161 over 74 with a pulse 69. should we be concerned
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 22 minutes later

The heart rate (pulse) is within normal range, But its the systolic BP which is on the higher side and this is not to be expected when on a potent antiHypertensive like Toprol.With his background of heart ischemia , I consider there is a need to be evaluated well.

I would ask you to get his BP examined by a possessional on three consecutive days and formulate a better antihypertensive for the same if it remains high in all readings.

I do not say there is need for alteration or removal of Toprol but need to evaluate the necessity for a additional anti hypertensive drug.The rest medications are good and can continue with the same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: High BP, high pulse 12 minutes later
do u think nuvigil is affecting blood pressure
Follow-up: High BP, high pulse 10 hours later
can nuvigil raise top number of blood pressure
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up.

Yes, Nuvigil does have effect on BP , but its rare.

It can rise or even drop the BP.But the effect is very inconsistent.Hence I suggest you to get multiple BP measure which rule out the transient effect of Nuvigil.

Hope I answered your doubts clearly.

Wish him good health.