High BP, headache, chest pain, have mitral valve prolapse, seeing black spots. ECG fine. Want answers

Hi i normaally have very low blood pressure. But it has been really high all week. This evening it was at it highest at 156/114. I have had really bad headaches too. Went to er earlier in week cause i had chest pain, no history of this before. They want me to come back for echo and stress test but i will be waiting bout 5 months for this. I also have miral valve prolapse, not sure what state its in at present cause didnt have echo with 12 yrs. I kinda forgot about it and obviously so did my gp!! Just a bit worried cause my bp is so erratic. Its been very low to during the week. My normal bp all my life has been low, as in black spots and not being able to see for a second when i stand up. Ive also had several episodes of irregular pulse. And i feel so awfully tired that i just cant get up and then i need to go to bed early cause just so very very tired with about 6 weeks. Thought it might be my thyroid but that was fine. I really just dont feel well but no one seems to be hearing me! My gp said my ecg was fine and cardiac enzymes they did in emergency room were apparently ok. Ps. Im 50 and prob post menopausal now. Numerous surgerys for bowel obst caused by endo last one 5 yrs ago. Would love a few answers if at all possible. I need my life back. Not on any bp meds. So took a spray of gtn this evening not for pain but to lower my bp. I was given it in the er room in case i got chest pain again. I havent just the one time and it was terrible for about a minute and then it ewent that was last tues. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The blood pressure mentioned by you is quite high and considering your age such high BP can lead to complications as stroke,neuropathy,heart issues etc.

You need to be under observation and require continuous monitoring of Blood pressure along with investigations as Blood test, ECG,stress test.

The blood pressure is to be lowered initially by means of medications which might be administered in injectable form.

Kindly visit an ER so that you can be monitored regularly and also to avoid any complications.
Right now you need anti hypertensives to lower your blood pressure. Most of your symptoms will subside once the blood pressure is controlled.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: High BP, headache, chest pain, have mitral valve prolapse, seeing black spots. ECG fine. Want answers 13 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I have been to er but they sent me home to wait to be called for echo and stress tests. I used the gtn spray last night to bring down my blood pressure. They gave me this in er to use in case i got chest pain again, saying that well if i used it and pain went away then at least i would no for sure that the pain was angina!! Going to my gp again tomorrow and try to get 24 hr monitor there, but doubt i will have much luck as there is also a waiting list for it. And unbelievably this is with me paying for private healthcare. Just wondering why my pulse is so high now. It sometimes goes as low as 50 usually when i have bad palpitations but then it seems to go to between 100 and 130 when my blood pressure is high.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
An intermittent rise in blood pressure along with a rise in pulse rate is likely to be due to the anxiety that you are having due to the illness.
The following lifestyle changes will be helpful:
a. Decrease your salt intake to less than 1 tsp a day
b. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
c. Exercise daily ( you can walk/jog/skip/swim, whatever you prefer) for 50 minutes
d. Yoga, Pranayam and meditation help relieve stress
e. Avoid junk food, coffee, cold drinks, alcohol, etc.
c. If the blood pressure is not controlled by the diet and exercise modification for a few weeks, you may need anti-hypertensive drugs. Half the battle involves diet and exercise modification which will be of great benefit in your case.
d. I would suggest that you consult your physician for repeated evaluation of your blood pressure and investigations like an Echo, 24 hour BP monitoring and kidney function tests.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.