High BP, cholesterol in limits. What should be done?

My blood pressure is coming like 145/95 from last 3-4 days. I am measuring using Omron Auto Blood Pressure unit. It is looking high. My cholesterols have been with in limit in last few years. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Radhika 35 minutes later

You mentioned that your blood pressure is 145/95 from 3 to 4 days.

The average blood pressure is around 120 (systolic pressure) over 80 (diastolic pressure) and the systolic component tends to increase with ageing.
A blood pressure higher than 140/90 at rest is significant and entails evaluation. Measurements in an automatic monitor may not be always correct and you will need to get it tested manually by a Doctor 3 to 4 times. IF higher readings are found even after repeated manual measurement, lifestyle modification and drug therapy would be needed.
I would suggest that you get yourself tested by your physician and make a record of the blood pressure noted at each visit. If the reading is higher than 140/90 after testing for 3-4 times, each visit being about 1 month apart, then intervention is warranted.
Till then, I would suggest the following:
a.     Decrease your salt intake to less than 5 grams a day (less than 1 tsp).
b.     Exercise regularly for about 50 minutes daily
c.     Eat a nutritious and balanced diet which is low in refined sugar and fat ( especially saturated and trans fat) and XXXXXXX in complex carbohydrates, fruits and vegetable
d.     Practice some de-stressing exercises like yoga or XXXXXXX breathing.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.