High BP, bipolar disorder; taking Novarsk for BP and Risperdal and Depacote. Proper treatment? Gym advised?

Hi, good afternoon. I'm 44 years old man.
I'm a cigarrette smoker, have high blood pressure and have bipolar disorder.
I'm taking Novarsk 5 mg for my high blood pressure
and I'm taking Risperdal 4 mg/day & Depacote 375 mg/day.
What is the proper treatment for me?
My i go to gym or just walking and swimming?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.
Important aspects of your query are:

•     44 year old male
•     Known case of Bipolar Disorder and Hypertension
•     Currently on Novarsk 5 mg, Risperdal 4 mg/day & Depacote 375 mg/day.
•     Worry related to current treatment.

As you are known case of Hypertension then smoking is harmful for you considering your cardio vascular health.

Bipolar illness is a chronic illness and need long term treatment, even after improvement in acute symptoms during maintenance phase, as there is risk of development of depressive or manic episode with inappropriate treatment or change in doses without treating physician advice.

Regarding treatment of Bipolar Disorder and Hypertension, it is highly individualised and depend on many factors like: duration of illness, nature of symptoms, treatment response, side effects to patient, lab reports, general physical condition and treatment compliance.

Overall, your treatment is in right direction. But if you have some difficulty with treatment, then you can inform your worry to treating physician as any drug change needs monitoring of patient.

Today’s research also indicates that a move toward individualizing the dosing of prescription agents is warranted and it can happen only after physical consultation.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.