High BP at young age. How to deal with it?

sir i have a problem of high blood pressure and i am only 24years old so what can ido for this problem
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations.

There are several different factors which play a role in having high blood pressure. There're certainly a genetic component which cannot be avoided in some people. In addition there are several lifestyle factors which have a significant impact in blood-pressure monitoring and control.

If you have a strong family history of high blood pressure this is something which must be considered in looking forward to maintaining good blood pressure control. If after completing a full course of last modification your blood pressure is still not controlled it may be necessary to consider medication.

Regarding lifestyle modification one of the first things we consider is looking at diet. Diets which are high in salt and stimulant beverages can sometimes cause elevation of blood pressure. I would encourage you to take a look at your diet to see if this is part of what might be causing your high blood pressure

The next category would be activity and exercise. If you are carrying extra weight and if you are not exercising at least four days per week this may also have an impact on your blood pressure. Sometimes even losing five or 10 pounds can significantly improve average blood pressure.

Despite all of modifications that can be done some patients including patients who are young such as yourself may still have elevated blood pressure. We now know from a long period of research that having high blood pressure over a long period of time can create significant problems later in life. For this reason is extremely important to aggressively approach this to get your blood pressure under good control. I would try these lifestyle modifications for 3 to 6 months. If after that period of time the blood pressure is still elevated you should consider medication.

Of course a strong partnership with your response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert