High BP and pulse rate. Taking Carvedilol. Overuse inhaler. Suggest

I have afab and started take Carvedilol just now. I have read some of these review and I dont know how this medcine is going to help. too many side heart is beating too fast and my pulus is also high. The cause of all this that I over used my inhaler. So I could breath better.I mised my self up. I hope all goes well.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 49 minutes later
Dear Sir,

1. Carvedilol is a combined alpha & beta-blocker (drug blocking alpha & beta type of sympathetic receptors). It acts on the connecting pathway between the fibrillating chambers (atria) and main pumping chambers (ventricles) to control rate of ventricular contraction. Hence carvedilol acts to contain your heart rate within normal limits.

2. Carvedilol is not primarily meant for reverting atrial fibrillation (AF) to normal rhythm (sinus rhythm) and it is used only to control rate in AF. Since the cause for your AF has been told to be a drug (inhaler) which is possibly a beta-stimulant, so a beta antagonist (anti-stimulant) has been prescribed, in a hope to revert AF to normal.

3. All medicines have some side effects; but they are within permissible limits during the "clinical trials" and only then they are launched in market after FDA approval. One should use the medicines as prescribed and consult your doctor if there is anything unusual.

4. One more point which is important in your case. If you are on inhalers (bronchodilators), I am not sure why you have been given an anti-bronchodilator agent? Carvedilol is not the preferred drug in the presence of bronchial asthma. Please discuss with your physician.

Feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: High BP and pulse rate. Taking Carvedilol. Overuse inhaler. Suggest 2 hours later
I was given the inhaler 2/3 years ago.I had shortness of breathe. Felt like I had some mucus in my lungs. Could not sleep propery. I don't have asthma. I hope that everything goes back to normal.Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 26 minutes later
Yes. You are most welcome sir.