High BP, EKG normal, high glucose. Suggested for repeat test with HBa1c. Can I have a stroke?

I'm a 43 year old male. I'm pretty active (play squash 5 times a week, stair stepper 2-3 times a week, trying to swim, and lift some weights)

Recently my cousin who is 52 yrs old had a mild stroke. Ever since it has got me worried and has been playing on my mind.

Last Fri night when I went to bed, even though officially I was asleep, I was still seeing lot of thoughts race by in a mind centered around stroke. Around 2 am, I woke up with the biggest scare of my life...I felt a big spasm/twitch on the left side of the face. I immediately went to the bath room and looked @ my face, moved my hands around, uttered some sentences repetitively. I was able to do all that and my face looked fine too.

Next day in the morning I went to my primary care as I was due for my annual. The nurse did my BP ( it was 142/86)..the EKG was normal (except for the PAC's on the graph)...the doctor calmed me down and re did the BP (it was 130/86). She said everything was fine and sent me back saying not to worry too much about everything and anything.

The lab results came in on Tue. All the blood work was normal, except Glucose. It was 105. As, I was concerned abt this, my doctor added a repeat test of the same along with HBa1c.

Being the nervous wreck I'm wjen it comes to doctors and health issues, I did not sleep well again on Wednesday night worrying about the Glucose levels now. So, thu morning I went in for my tests. The results have come back. The fasting glucose was now 103 and Hba1c was 5.2.

My primary care said that everything looks good and to stop worrying. She says I'm compulsive obsessive. I wanted to check the #s again on this forum and get a second opinion.

I'm trying to stay away from any processed food, sugar etc.

Pls advise
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 3 hours later

In my opinion your worries seems out of place to the actual situation.

Stroke has multiole risk factors and most important of them
are diabets and blood pressure.

After these two most important risk factors high cholesterol levels and atrial fibrillation along with the possibilty of thrombus foformation are the other important risk factors.

As most of them are normal in your case , you are unlikely to get a stroke.

Please get your lipids checked as well to see if they need correction.

If you still can not get rid of your thoughts ; you may need to see a psychologist.

Please let me know any further questions.
Follow-up: High BP, EKG normal, high glucose. Suggested for repeat test with HBa1c. Can I have a stroke? 1 hour later
I think my writing was too lengthy. My main concern were the glucose #s of 105 initially and then 103...with a HBa1c of 5.2.
How concerned should I be?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 4 hours later

Not at all , HbA1C measures the average blood sugar in the last 3 months and any reading below 6 is normal and do not in any way suggests diabetes.

Similarly any blood sugar level below 110 is no cause of concern.

The very reason I got a HBa1c test was because the lab flagged a fasting blood sugar as high. According to this lab anything above 99 was pre diabetes.
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 17 minutes later

Pre diabetic is between 110-126 fasting blood glucose levels, so 105 or 103, especially when HBAIC is 5.2 is not at all a problem.