High BP. Despite accupryl, BP goes high. Have white coat syndrome. Is it due to smoking?

Hello, I am on meds for high blood whole family has it. I am currently on 40mg of accupryl and a half of a diuretic daily.I notice that late in the day my pressure goes up to about 140 over 85 to 151 over 82.I take my meds about 430am when I get up and also notice that a hour or so later I feel quite funny and a little weakish.....I have taken my pressure at this time and it has been as low as 90 over61,I am a heavy smoker about 15 pounds over weight and a social drinker(about 6 drinks over the weekend. I am self employed and have quite a stressful job.....I drive all day....The reading of 151 over 82 is the highest I have had since being on the meds for approx 8 months....Is this normal....I also have white coat syndrom and did the 24 hour monitering and the Dr said all the readings were very good...that was about 4 months ago. I currently just go to the clinic because I dont have a doctor yet. Thank you very much. And please dont tell me just to quit smoking ,I am trying to cut down but I will probably always be a smoker.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

A blood pressure reading of 140/85 or 151/82 is not worrisome for your age. If you had symptoms of dizziness, passing out, etc I would be concerned. These numbers otherwise do not concern me.

The feeling of weakness in the morning after taking the medicine might be due to the low blood pressure reading. You can consult your physician regarding changing the timing of drug intake to evening or you can ask for splitting the dose into half and making it a twice daily regimen.

You also need to keep yourself well hydrated. Low blood pressure can occur by over medication or even less water in the body.

A visit to your physician will be helpful.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.