High BP. 2D ECHO done. What is the problem with heart?

I have attached my sister's 2D Echo Report. Could you please tell me what is the problem with my sister's heart.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing the query.

I have gone through the Echo-cardiograph and Doppler report of your sister.

The study is within normal limits.

Detail understanding of the report is as follows

1 All four chambers of heart are of normal size.
2 All valves of heart are normally functioning.
3 Pumping capacity of heart, what we call as Ejection Fraction is 66 %, which is in normal range.
4 There are no abnormalities noted in blood flow across valves. This is assessed by pressure gradient across the valves.

In short the study is in normal limits.

No reason to be worry.

However if you could elaborate on the fact, why the study was done? As a screening or does she has some complaints? In that case I can answer your further query also.

Feel free to discuss any query you have.

Wish her a good health.
Follow-up: High BP. 2D ECHO done. What is the problem with heart? 55 minutes later
Thank you sir! Actually my sister is over weighted(95 kgs for 5.1 Height). Our Family Physician Suggested to visit a cardiologist. We have went there and doctor said BP (150/110) is high and need to control that. Also after 2d Echo test he written some medicines. In the report, it is written that left artium and aorta are 2.5 cms. Is this Normal or some thing seriuos? I am too much worried and not getting any clue of any seriuosness. Please Reply
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 12 minutes later

Thanks for the history and lab updates.

Left atrium and aorta size are within normal limit and you need not worry.

However from the update, 2 important things you must focus at are overweight, uncontrolled blood pressure.

Your plan of management should include

1 Start anti hypertensive drugs after consultation with cardiologist, monitor blood pressure and maintain it in normal range. You should aim to control it below 130/80 or equal to 120/80. This will take time of 2-4 weeks, so don't be panic if blood pressure reduces gradually.

2 Have a dietitian consultation, follow strict diet instructions as it will help to reduce blood pressure and weight also. This activity needs a lot of dedication and patience.

So presently you have these 2 things to focus. These are not serious things to worry. Be assured that focused approach will help you achieve target BP and weight.

Hope this will relieve your anxiety.

Follow-up: High BP. 2D ECHO done. What is the problem with heart? 38 minutes later
Thank you very much for your answer Sir! It had helped me to relieve my anxiety a lot.

Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 19 minutes later
Thanks a lot for the kind words.