High AST, ALT and triglyceride level. What can I do to bring these numbers down?

General Surgeon
Hello Doctor, I just got my lab results and are a little worried. My AST level came back at 60 and my ALT at 37. Also my Triglycerides came back at 291. I do drink beer four days a week from 6 to maybe 15 beers four days a week. I do exercise hard specially cardio four days a week. What can I do to bring those numbers down. Also, is AST level of 60 really bad. Im a male age 42.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

AST is an liver enzyme which gets elevated when there is liver cells disintegration. Level 60 is just above the reference value and it is nothing to worry about. As you drink quite often, liver cells gets irritated by an alcohol and this is probably the reason of such result. As it is nothing to worry about now, it can be a problem in the future as your way of drinking may lead to cirrhosis and to liver failure.
Moreover, your triglicerides level is way to high. Such level of triglicerides may additionally make liver function worst. It can result with fatty liver and to cirrhosis as well.
I suggest you to visit your doctor and ask him about some medicines decreasing triglicerides level.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.