Hida scan done. Noticed stationary white image of about 1/2 inch in scan. Is this a normal scan?

my hida scan took 2 1/2 hours and on two different occasions during the scan i had to stop and drink water and wait like 20 mins...then take more images....all throughout the scan the image looked like about 1/2 inch white spot and seemed not to move. Is this a normal scan?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Ideally, you should not be eating or drinking anything from the night before to the time the scan is completed. But some authorities do allow you to drink water before the scan. I do not think this would affect your test results.
Some people do experience some nausea and abdominal cramping when the cholecystikinin is injected, but this should subside on its own.
The images do indeed like small white spots only and is not something you need to worry about.
If your physician/technician did let you drink some water, I am sure it could not have produced a major discrepancy in the test results. Also, since they are aware that you did have water, they'll interpret the results accordingly.
I am sure the results will be interpreted in light of the clinical findings.
I hope this helps
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: Hida scan done. Noticed stationary white image of about 1/2 inch in scan. Is this a normal scan? 9 hours later
Apparenly all you give is generic answers because if you had read what I wrote..I said they stopped test and made me drink watering 2 occasions!. This s the worst waste of !9.95 I've spent and I'd be willing to bet y'all are nit even doctors with this kind of responses you are giving people and it's a shame because they are people who are genuinely looking for help...all I can say is lesson learned!
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
I did read your question and I believe I do understand your concern as well. Since this is a radionuclide study, they would have to stop the scan to make you drink water. It cannot possibly go on simultaneously. For most people, the scan would take anywhere between 1-2 hours to complete as it takes some time for the pictures to get taken.
Secondly, some people do have a problem during this scan and there are some reports of the test being stopped to allow people to take their time. Drinking water will not affect your test report as its not something that it is going to be taken up by the gall bladder anyway.
If you are still not comfortable with this answer, please write to YYYY@YYYY for a refund. Your whole money would be refunded.