Hiatus hernia found in stomach. Does running increase the problem? Concerned?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
I would like to follow up my question concerning the hiatus hernia found in my stomach, I have sent the pictures and report to you previously.
I am wondering whether running increases the problem, as it may put strain on the stomach. Also, which type of hernia does it look like (sliding or rolling). Can the condition be reversed or will the stomach always protrude?

Thankyou.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a sliding hernia

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Running put stress on abdomen although less than bending and may increase the hernia.

From pictures it appears to be sliding hernia

It may persist for whole life, it can be reversed only with surgery if it is causing severe symptoms otherwise no intervention is required.

Hope You are doing well. remain in touch

Follow-up: Hiatus hernia found in stomach. Does running increase the problem? Concerned? 20 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

I understand, then, that the hernias do not often resolve on their own without surgery. If they do, how often can they resolve?

Thankyou.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
hernia will not resolve spontaneously

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I don't think they will resolve spontaneously ever

Follow-up: Hiatus hernia found in stomach. Does running increase the problem? Concerned? 5 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

Lastly, could you please advise whether Zantac can be taken in place of Rabeprazole for a period of six weeks.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Zantac can be taken but Rabeprazole is better

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Zantac can be taken but Rabeprazole is more effective than Zantac. So rabeprazole is better in relieving these symptoms.

Follow-up: Hiatus hernia found in stomach. Does running increase the problem? Concerned? 1 minute later
OK thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OK

Detailed Answer:
Ok hope you will get well soon