Hiatel hernia, Schtaski band, EGD. Surgery essential?

I have a hiatel hernia with a schatski band, they broke up the band during egd, is my pain and problem going to go away? or will I need surgery?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later

You have not described your symptoms here.

Schtaski bands are found on the lower end of the oesophagus and they restrict the large chunks of food to pass into the stomach giving you a chest pain and difficulty in swallowing food.

Resecting these rings should improve symptoms of difficulty in swallowing.

However these bands have got nothing to do with hiatal hernia. The herniation of stomach will still be present next to the lower part of oesophagus which can be confirmed by barium meal examination or even barium swallow examination.

You may need to undergo a separate surgery for hiatus hernia.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.