Hi my daughter has cough and cold with noisy breathing

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi my daughter has cough and cold with noisy breathing in the night, the pediatrician gave saline drops, mucolite and maxtra drops. Now she is not waking up for feeds and sleeping always is it normal or should I stop the medication and visit doctor again? If we have to continue medication for how many days should it be used?
Posted Sat, 2 Dec 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to visit doctor again

Detailed Answer:
Hi
There could be two possibilities why your child is drowsy and sleeping and not taking feeds.
1. Maxtra - has antihistamines which can cause sleep.
2. Increase in infection which can cause sleepiness.
In any case my advice
1. Try waking your child and feed.
2. Avoid further doses of Maxtra.
3. Consult your doctor and get your child examined to rule out increase in infection.
Usually medicine induced sleepiness should settle in 8 hours if not given excessively.
Wishing your child good health.
Dr Arun