Hi my baby has alot of diharrea and he vomitted

Pediatrician
Question
Hi my baby has alot of diharrea and he vomitted milk once out and has a fever hes 6-7 months old. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that your child has an episode of gastroenteritis or food poisoning. It could be due to contaminated food or improper hand hygiene.

In any case, you need to give your child some antiemetic like ondansetron as and when needed, especially before feeds (15 min-30 min prior to feeds). Such stomach problems and loose stools may persist for a 2-5 days before it resolves. Please be patient. You may give probiotics like Refora R. Also give curd or yogurt since it contains plenty of beneficial bacteria and should help.

In any case, the mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution). Unless the lost salts and fluids are replenished the child would become dehydrated. The urine output needs to be monitored. If the frequency comes down it indicates dehydration and calls for additional supplementation of fluids. But if the child becomes lethargic you would need to take the child to a hospital without delay.

Give zinc supplements like Zinconia Syr 5 ml once daily for the next 10 days. You need not worry. It should gradually return back to normal.

Feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Hi my baby has alot of diharrea and he vomitted 35 hours later
Thank u doctor

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Let me know if I could be of any further assistance.