Hi dr am 33 weeks pregnant and hiv positive I

Excellent
Question
Hi dr am 33 weeks pregnant and hiv positive I have been on medication but just a little afraid for the baby now that my due date is near
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
After treatment the risk is less than 1%.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If you have HIV, you can reduce the risk of passing it to your baby by:
1. Taking combination therapy (also called highly active antiretroviral therapy or HAART) during pregnancy, even if you don't need HIV treatment for your own health. This reduces the risk of transmission to the baby to less than 1%, if the mother's viral load is undetectable when the baby is born.
2. Bottle feeding your baby, rather than breastfeeding.
In some situations, you may have a cesarean delivery (sometimes called a C-section) to reduce the risk of mother-to-child transmission of HIV during delivery. That depends on your viral load before delivery. Babies born to women with HIV receive HIV medicine for 4 to 6 weeks after birth.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal