Hi doctor my 7 years old kid weight 22 kg

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi doctor my 7 years old kid weight 22 kg having stomach pain and loose motions since yesterday and fever .... please advise can I give bacigyl-n
Posted Sat, 2 Dec 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please do not use antibiotic like Bacigyl

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics (like bacigyl or metronidazole) unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Follow-up: Hi doctor my 7 years old kid weight 22 kg 1 hour later
Hi Dr. She was having stomach ache n loose motions so now I have already given her bacigyl-n..... just one dose x 5ml .... Will not give more .... I have also gave her entogermina . Hope it's ok . And for fever crocin x7ml ....pls advise.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on fever and probiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi... you can give enterogermina, it is only a probiotic. You can give it 1 XXXXXXX thrice a day for 5 days.

For fever - Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

You can give Crocin DS (strength 240 mg per 5 ml) at 7 ml per dose.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth