Ask a Urologist   »  

Hi In 2014 I did a ultra sound scan of

General Surgeon
Question
Hi In 2014 I did a ultra sound scan of left Testicle
They found Bilaterally in caput epididymis, small cysts with benign appearance are seen. No detectable left-wing inguinal hernia

Can these small cysts (spermatocele) affect my fertility and having children?
I don’t feel immediate pain only when I do self examine myself I can feel sort of pain when touching the area.
Cysts has not gone away since then and don’t know if it has increased in size but I am worried it could have impact on my ability to have a relationship
Wish that question stays between me and the doctor and not publishing online..
Posted Wed, 6 Dec 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Small cyst does not impact testicles.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

In general cyst is an empty space filled with fluid. It grows outside the organ (does not replace the healthy tissues) in most cases. So its is hardly possible for a cyst (especially small) to cause any fertility problems not impact testicles in any other way.
Only extremely large cyst can do that. But for sure you would see it as a scrotum enlargement.
Pain when touching epididymis is a normal thing as this area is very sensitive in normal conditions.
As long as you do not have an inflammation of this area, and the cysts do not grow, you should not be worried about it.

Hope this helps.
Regards.