Ask a Urologist   »  

Hi , I'm 85 yrs old in good health .

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
Hi , I'm 85 yrs old in good health . For the past 3 months I've been taking tamsulosin hcl.4 mg. for enlarged prostate ' which had me going 3/ 4 times a night . During this time I"ve gotten that to 2 times per night . However, last night I had a urine release while I was asleep . Not a lot .but I'm concerned because I have a strong stream and every else seems normal . Is the med relaxing my blader too much . Please advise . XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tomsulosin o.4 mg once daily is a Pharmaceutical dose

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted you have been facing problem of Nocturia due to enlarged prostate and is being advised to take Tomsulosin .0.4 mg once daily However you have noticed passing urine in bed involuntarily .

Tomsulosin is a smooth muscle relaxant that relaxes smooth muscles in bladder neck and Prostate and helps to improve urine flow and there by reduce nocturia It does cause release of urine once in a while when bladder is filled up completely ..The factors those cause passing urine involuntarily are
1) Your bladder is over distended
2) You may be in deep sleep

There is nothing to be worried about it .Make a habit to empty bladder before going to bed and to avoid drinking water after evening .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.