Hi, I suffer from major depression and psychosis with negative

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, I suffer from major depression and psychosis with negative symptoms. The medications I'm taking seem to be working, but I seem to be experiencing anxiety that is affecting a lot of my day to day living. Any suggestions you have for this would be very greatly appreciated?.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increasing dose of Fluoxetine suggested

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to inform you that anxiety symptoms are very common with depression and same is possible during the early few weeks of fluoxetine treatment.

In case you are using fluoxetine over the last few weeks only, waiting for few more days will help you in managing. It is well known fact that fluoxetine acts as an anti anxiety medication when used over long time say 4-8 weeks.

In case 4-8 weeks already lapsed since you started fluoxetine 40 mg I feel increasing dose of fluoxetine is recommended. Taking your statement that treatment seems to working I feel increasing the dose of fluoxetine will help not only in depression but also in anxiety. It other words it can be emphasised that you may need higher dose of fluoxetine (normal dose 20-80 mg per day) for control of anxiety as well as depression.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.