Hi ! I have recently developed painful swelling in the

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi ! I have recently developed painful swelling in the palm of my hand just below my middle finger. It started with a tender spot in the upper palm between middle and ring fingers but the swelling has now moved up into the middle finger on palm and knuckle side. It is so swollen and tender I cannot bend my middle finger much and all other fingers cannot be closed to the palm. This occurred over a 3-4 day period and the pain has kept me awake 2 nights. I don't recall an injury.
Posted Wed, 6 Dec 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be inflammed tendon sheath.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have seen the pictures and read the description. In my opinion this is an swelling of the tendon sheath probably due to inflammation / Infection. It can occur without any injury .
I would suggest pain killers, blood investigations like Complete blood counts with ESR and Blood Sugar Fasting and post prandial. In case you don't get relief in a day or two please consult your orthopedic surgeon / ER for starting appropriate antibiotics.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.