Hi I have have back pain in the rib area

Rheumatologist
Question
Hi I have have back pain in the rib area for about a month and have recently got xrays of the area I was called by my doctors office today and told I have DISH, diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis. It was suggested that I take NSAIDS for the pain and start physical therapy. Is there anything I can do to alleviate the symptoms naturally and what would you advise for me?
Posted Tue, 5 Dec 2017 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain management

Detailed Answer:
good evening

thank you for writing on health care magic

Well the pain in DISH can be trouble some as there is restriction of the movements.As for the pain management there are a couple of things I will pint out

1. Make sure there is no microfracture of the spine as it can cause a continuous troublesome pain

2. since your pain is radiating to the ribs there s a probability it is pressing on the nerves. We can add some other drug like pregabalin as it will help app then the nerves

3. i wont recommend NSAIDS for long. Take safer pain killers like paracetemol 650 or ultracet

4. You should also start on Bisphosphonates like Alebdronate 70 mg once a week as it helps strengthen the bones and prevents spine weakness due to immobility...

5. As for the natural therapy you can try with Yoga and make sure your diet is rich in calcium and vitamin d.Not many natural foods help in pain management. We at our place try turmeric powder with milk..it does help in pain control

Hope the information was useful

Do let me know for more queries

Dr naval

Follow-up: Hi I have have back pain in the rib area 21 hours later
What is your procedure for using tumeric powder and milk and do you recommend any specific brand of tumeric powder and is it used in conjunction with any thing else. I read it should be combined with pepper to be more effective. How many mg and how many times a day? Thanks for your information

Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Turmeric powder

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

sorry for the late reply...had a long day at work

Well as such we don't have any specific dosage for it. you asked for natural ways, so I remembered how my parents used to give it to us during any pain...you can say these r grandma's old techniques. You can combine it with pepper too. We usually use the orange turmeric powder and 2 tea spoon with a glass of milk at bedtime..Known to help in fighting lot of other ailments too
...

Hope the information was useful

Do let me know for more queries

Dr naval