Ask a Urologist   »  

Hi I have had severe pain right side of abdomen

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hi I have had severe pain right side of abdomen radiating into the hip and inguinal area off and on for the past four months. Recently had an abdominal ultrasound that was unremarkable except for the presence of two very small benign liver hemangiomas.

Three nights ago had burning and extreme irritation and frequent need to urinate. Ob Gyn took urine sample which showed microscopic blood in it but no presence of infection when culture results came back two days ago.

I started taking Cipro thinking this may be an infection that spread to the kidneys... But so far no improvement in the hip pain.

Had a hip X-ray earlier this year that was normal. I have no idea what is going on.
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult qualified Orthopedic Surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Pain in abdomen on Right side radiating down to hip joint and leg could be mostly due to muscular pain originating from Iliac Bone or Iliac Crest or a pain from Sacro Iliac Joint .

You need to consult qualified Orthopedic Surgeon for clinical examination and get M.R.I of the pelvis and Lumbo Sacral Joint done to establish the diagnosis .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

As regards recent episode of burning urination and urgency it is not related to the pathology concerned with your joint pain .Taking Nitrofurantoin twice daily along with anti muscuranic drug like Darifenacin or Merobregon once daily will help to relieve urinary symptoms .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.