Hi I have developed scalp crust. It's itching and leading

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi
I have developed scalp crust. It's itching and leading to excessive hair fall.
please suggest some quick remedy. I am in depression.

Thanks
Posted Sat, 2 Dec 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for possible cause of scalp scaling, itching and hair fall

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern..
You seem to have either scalp seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis.
Both these conditions are associated with scalp scaling, crusting and itching. Hair shedding is usually increased.
If I was the treating doctor I would suggest a coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoo e.g Protar lotion/ shampoo. Lather it well on to wet scalp and leave it for 10minutes allowing it to act and thereafter rinse it off with plenty of water.
In addition I suggest you to use a topical steroid and salicylic acid combination lotion (most commonly a clobetasol propionate 0.05% and 3% salicylic acid lotion e.g Topisal - 3 % lotion) for overnight scalp application.
Both these are prescription medications and I suggest that you talk to your local practitioner regarding a prescription for the same.
You may also take a tab cetrizine once every evening for symptomatic relief from itching.